Graduate apartments are available at the George Hicks Building, just a ten minute walk from the University of Melbourne's Parkville campus. This peaceful and quiet facility has 57 graduate apartments, all fitted with the essentials you need to live and study in Melbourne.
Graduate apartments are similar in size, and many have sweeping views of the cityscape and parklands nearby. All 57 apartments contain:
- An ensuite bathroom
- A double bed, chair, study nook, wardrobe and plenty of natural light
- 42 apartments have private kitchenettes containing a cooktop, refrigerator, microwave and storage space
There are 15 apartments without a kitchenette, which are offered at a slightly reduced weekly rate.
Apartment tour video
Linen, laundry and cleaning
Just like a rental agreement, graduate students are expected to clean their own linen and keep their apartments tidy and dust-free. Equipment, including vacuum cleaners, are available on each floor. A laundry is located on the ground floor of the George Hicks Building, and has coin operated washing machines, tumble dryers, ironing boards and irons. Students must provide their own washing powder.
The facilities in the George Hicks Building include:
- Wi-Fi in all apartments and communal living areas
- A communal kitchen, dining room and lounge on each floor
- Televisions in communal areas
- A café on the ground floor
- A laundry
- Middle Common Room
- Private graduate study areas
Facilities shared with undergraduate students at the House include:
- Library and computer lab
- Multipurpose court (tennis, basketball, futsal, and more).
- Music practice rooms
- Onsite or street parking (at an additional cost).
All graduates fees include breakfast daily as part of their fees (for 40 weeks). This includes a cooked breakfast four days a week and a continental option available every day.
Three large communal kitchens (one per floor) are provided exclusively for graduate students to prepare their own meals. Communal kitchens include a refrigerator, microwave, cook top, preparation and dining area, and are maintained by the House cleaning staff.
If you don't feel like cooking, there is an option to purchase meal vouchers for the undergraduate Dining Hall. Residents can also attend two dinners per semester.